Saturday, March 16, 2019

Flight Over Manhattan

Flight Over Manhattan. Oil on panel, 6" x 6". ©2019


My mom always found the coolest stuff. I could never help but hang on to even the littlest scraps of paper, the cards, the gift bags, and pieces of ribbon. Now, all of those things have taken on an extra level of preciousness. Case in point: the six-inch-wide piece of tissue paper with block-printed green swallows. For months I've carefully protected it from harm, with no actual idea what to do with it.

Paul also found cool stuff, but instead of buying it, a lot of the time he would just point it out. "Here's a link to a website with some cool cocktail glasses/vintage sewing machine/etc." After he was gone, part of my extensive retail therapy was to buy those things for myself and pretend he sent them.

When I put this still life together, I didn't even think about the combination of glass and background until after it was done. I just liked the combo of mom's tissue birds, and Paul's cocktail coupe find. I guess I made a subconscious tribute to my people. Or at the very least, my hoarding paid off.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment