Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Dirty, Two Olives

Dirty, Two Olives. Oil on panel, 6" x 6". ©2019.


I'd forgotten how fun olives are to paint. Not that I've painted a lot of them. I rarely paint martinis, even though people love them. They don't have any color! For some reason, it hadn't occurred to me until now to make a dirty martini. That little bit of brine adds just enough haze to the gin* to give it some contrast.

It's been fun the past several days to see how my painting has progressed. Back at the beginning of the Mixology project, it took months for my painting style to simplify and loosen up. This time, the abstraction settled in far more quickly. I'm sure it will come and go depending on the subject matter. But the looseness of this piece works for me. Especially in the olives and cocktail pick.

I think this martini might star in more than one painting this week.

*don't worry, no actual gin was wasted in the making of this painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment