Friday, March 15, 2019

Deco Daddy

Deco Daddy. Oil on panel, 6" x 6". ©2019.



I can't say I've always wanted one of these old art deco shakers with the beautiful translucent bakelite handle and knob, but I've definitely coveted them for a few years. Trouble was, they are spendy. Not that this always deters me, but I have my limits.

Everybody's grieving process is different. Retail therapy is a big part of mine, so I spend a goodish amount of time looking online at things I don't need. Sometimes it pays off, like when I found this magnificent specimen at about a third of the usual price. The reason: his hat was perched at a jaunty angle, which was not its original condition.

Within about two minutes of the shaker's arrival, the knob was off, and the lid was upside down on a folded dish towel, being lovingly tended to with a hammer. Weirdly, it worked.

I couldn't wait to tackle this new challenge. Before painting, I tried every background I had at my disposal and landed on the same one I used yesterday. Go figure. I'm really pleased with how it turned out. Feels like I'm getting my groove back a bit.


No comments:

Post a Comment